|Title||J.H. Winn Inc.|
|Collection||Business and Industry|
|Scope & Content||
The company history is covered in two printed histories. News articles follow the company's more recent history and these may be found in the Vertical File Collection. The Photograph Collection contains pictures of company events and personnel in one folder and pictures of the company buildings and interiors are in a separate folder.
The 1937 edition of their catalog has an actual dial hand inserted on page 11 and page 34.
One small container holds nine hands and two compass needles. An envelope holds dial hands.
The company was founded in 1868 by Bardwell A. Goodell and James H. Winn. Goodell was foreman at Waltham Watch Co. and Winn was the husband of Goodell's sister-in-law. In 1873 the two men moved their business to Winchester. They bought land formerly owned by the Richardson family. The Richardson's had rented their grist mill to Asa and Harrison Parker, cabinet makers. The site was known as Mahogany Mill. Goodell and Winn tore down the mill and built a two-story building. In 1896 Goodell's interest in the company was bought out by Frank W. Winn, second son of James, at which time the company became known as J.H. Winn & Son.
In 1914 James' two other sons, Arthur L. and Harry T., joined the business and the company became J.H. Winn's Sons & Company. Their business was producing watch hands. In the 1930s they produced radio hands, clock hands and automobile hands rather than watch hands. By WWII they we doing defense work. In 1953 the name changed to J.H. Winn Inc.
James H. Winn died in November 1913; Frank W. Winn died in 1933; Harry T. Winn died in July 1945.
|Copyrights||Permission to publish material from this collection is subject to approval by the Town of Winchester.|
Clock & watch industry
Clock & watch making
Dade, Ernest B.
Winn, Arthur Locke
Winn, Frank W.
Winn, Harry T.
Winn, James H.